Transfer-Out Procedure

Instructions for Transferring from Florida Institute of Technology to another University as an F-1 or J-1 student:

If you are an F-1 or J-1 student, please bring the following items to the ISSS Office:

  • Transfer-In Form from your new university*
  • Copy of acceptance letter from your new university
  • Florida Institute of Technology’s Transfer-Out Form
  • Florida Institute of Technology’s Change in Registration Status Form (if you have graduated from FIT, this form is not required)

SPONSORED STUDENTS: students sponsored by their government/country must submit sponsor's approval of transfer, in writing, along with the above documentation if transferring out DURING their academic program.  This approval is not needed for those sponsored students who are graduating at the end of the current term in which they want to transfer. This approval is also not needed for those students who have already graduated and are/were participating in Optional Practical Training (OPT).

*NOTE: not all schools require a Transfer-In Form; be sure to ask your new school if they do or not. Some schools will also require a Transfer-In Form to be submitted to them before an acceptance letter will be issued.

The ISSS Office will discuss with you the date on which you want your SEVIS immigration record to be transferred/released to the new school. Once the transfer/release date is reached, FIT will no longer have access to your SEVIS record; this means that if you decide not to transfer, you must notify the ISSS Office before the transfer/release date.

Florida Tech university policy states that students are required to attend Florida Tech for one full semester when entering the United States on a Florida Tech provided I-20 immigration document.

J-1 Students: please keep in mind that a transfer is possible if the purpose of the transfer is to complete the objective for which you were admitted to FIT and that you remain in the same participant category. The transfer date must be a date agreed upon by the student, the new university, and FIT to ensure a smooth transfer.

Upon the transfer of your SEVIS record, you will need to contact your new school to have the new I-20/DS-2019 issued to you.